Fall Into Action: Clean, Protect and Winterize Your Most Valuable Assets
(Written by Steve Barber, Owner and Operator of Simcoe Mobile Wash)
The fall season is upon us and now is the ideal time to clean, protect, and winterize your home or cottage and its associated assets. Wintery weather including freezing rain, snow and ice combined with the harsh impacts of salt and other chemicals used to combat the elements, can increase the risk of unsightly and costly damages to your home if it isn’t properly prepared for the season.
A professional power washer has the commercial-grade equipment and the industry know-how to complete these services for you safely and quickly. Here are six reasons to consider booking an exterior cleaning service this fall:
- Fences, Decks, Docks: Cleaning these structures in the fall will help to remove dirt, moss, mold, mildew and stains, and will help prolong the life of the materials. Power washing also helps to prepare the surface for sealing, staining or painting in the spring.
- Driveways / sidewalks: Power washing can help to remove dirt, stains, and slippery patches of gas and oil which can create safety hazards as the weather grows colder. Cleaning the surface is also a necessary step to prepare the driveway for re-sealing.
- Gutters, eavestroughs and downspouts: Falling leaves, branches, dirt, insects and other debris can gather here creating blockages that can lead to an accumulation of snow and ice on your roof over the winter. This adds weight and strain to the roof’s structure and increases the risk of moisture ending up under your shingles, and in your attic or walls, leading to a whole host of frustrating and expensive problems.
- Siding / Brick: Winter weather can be tough on the exterior surfaces of your home. A good cleaning helps to remove dirt, allergens and other contaminants and prevent deterioration. It also improves curb appeal by brightening up your home. Power washing is also helpful to remove peeling paint around doors, windows and trim in preparation for a new coat of paint or stain.
- Roofs: Roof cleaning helps to remove algea, moss, mold, mildew, bird droppings, and dirt and can prolong the life of your shingles and reduce the risk of winter damage.
- Outdoor tools and toys: Consider having your trailer, boat or jet ski cleaned before storing them for winter, or your ATV or snowmobile cleaned up before the winter season. These hard-earned assets can bring us years of enjoyment if they are well cared for and maintained. Yard and landscape tools including lawnmowers, trimmers, snowblowers and other power tools can also benefit from annual cleaning to help maintain them and preserve their value.
When seeking out a professional power washing and cleaning service, don’t forget to ask the following key questions:
-Who supplies the water – the company or the homeowner?
-Do they use environmentally friendly, biodegradable cleaning products?
-Is hot water cleaning available to help remove contaminants and sanitize surfaces?
-Are they fully insured?
-Do they offer a service guarantee?
Protect your home and cottage this fall, and they will thank you. Avoid costly deterioration and repairs by maintaining and improving the exterior surfaces around your most valuable assets.